Monday, March 3, 2008

Savory Crepes


These are just sweet crepes, which, of course, are the best! But, crepes are great to eat as a real meal, too. Add chicken, etc and remove the sugar from the recipe to eat crepes for more than just a dessert!

From The Joy of Cooking

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup lukewarm water
4 large eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/8 tsp. salt
3 Tablespoons sugar

Combine the above in a bowl and mix until smooth. Heat your pan over medium heat and add 1/2 tsp. butter. Slowly pour batter into pan. Quickly tilt and rotate the pan to spread batter in a very thin coating covering the entire bottom. Cook until the bottom is lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn the crepe with a spatula or fingers and cook the second side until browned. 
Serve with...well, whatever you would like! My favorites are:
Lemon juice and powdered sugar
cinnamon and sugar
bananas and chocolate syrup
Peanut butter and maple syrup

1 comment:

Camilla said...

Hi Chels and Cody!

Your crepes look so yummy! My mom made crepes with lemon and sugar for breakfast when I was growing up, but now my husband is the official crepe maker; he's the one that got me hooked on savory crepes. I have photos of us gorging on them on a trip last year.

Your blog is great; I'm so flattered that you've invited people to "bite me" (hee hee) over at Enlightened Cooking.

I'll be peeking in regularly!