Monday, October 21, 2013

Pumpkin Pie Bars



I’m not a pumpkin pie fan. I feel like it is usually extremely underseasoned, and I hate the fact that the crust is about 1/16th of the piece of pie. I am a crust girl! I want as much crust as pumpkin filling, and so that’s how I made these delicious bars. I added and almost doubled the spices from the original recipe, as well as bulking up the crust quite a bit for a heartier bite. These keep me going back for more, which is something I just can’t say about the usual pumpkin pie! I’ll be making these for Thanksgiving this year, no question!

Pumpkin Pie Bars

Crust
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats

Filling
2 eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2  teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Mix in flour. Fold in oats. Press into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Bake in preheated oven 15 minutes, until set.

In a large bowl, beat eggs with white sugar. Beat in pumpkin and evaporated milk. Mix in salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and pumpkin pie spice. Pour over baked crust. Bake in preheated oven 35-40 minutes, until set. Let cool, then refrigerate for a few hours before cutting into squares. Serve with whipped cream!

Highly adapted from allrecipes.com
Makes 20 bars

No comments: