Friday, November 7, 2008

Pumpkin Spice Bars


This was my first gluten free but tastes like it has gluten recipe, and it turned out absolutely delicious! I have been holding off on buying a billion different types of flour to see if being gluten-free actually helps my pain. Last Saturday I got a knock on my door...one of my friends dropped off all sorts of great GF stuff! Including a flour mixture that made this dessert sooo good! Thanks Jen! I took some to friends and family, and everyone raved about them. They are going on my make all the time list! Yummy!

2 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup pumpkin puree 
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 3/4 cups
 gluten-free flour mix*
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum 
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice 


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat the eggs till blended; add the oil and beat to combine. Add the brown sugar and beat until smooth. Add the pumpkin, beat till smooth; add the vanilla, beat to combine. Add the flour mixture, baking powder, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum and spices; and beat just until the batter is smooth. 

Dump the batter into a greased 9x13 baking pan and spread the evenly. Bake in the center of a preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, until the bars are firm, and a wooden pick inserted into the center emerges clean.

Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting after the bars have cooled completely.

*gluten-free flour mixture:
3 parts brown rice flour
3 parts corn starch
2 parts soy flour
1 part masa harina

4 comments:

Ashley Wray said...

Yummy, I so love everything pumpkin this time of year!
I made your pumpkin bars recipe earlier this week and they were heavenly! A little too heavenly so after a couple I made Andrew take them to school the next day to get rid of them so I wouldn't eat the whole pan! I love that cream cheese frosting recipe, so easy and so yummy!

Emily said...

Oh yum! I have never made anything gluten free that I know of . . . I hear it is much better for you! I will have to do a little investigating! Your pumkin bars look delicious!

Wservir said...

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM!!! YUM!!!.
We would like to add it to the Ptitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com (more than 30 000 visitors per day)

To add your site to the Ptitchef family you can use http://www.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to http://en.petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Octávio
www.petitchef.com

chelsea mckell said...

hey chels - looks like you're building a fan base!
did you really take these pics? Im licking the screen.
My friend Melissa's blog is samandmelissabates.blogspot.com (she has a link to yours)

Hey I talked to rebekah the other day. Im so mad that Joe didnt last long there! I feel so bad that they have such high turnover...