Monday, March 8, 2010

Skillet BBQ Chicken Pasta


Yummy, easy, yummy, enough said. Seriously, I loved this skillet dinner! Okay, so I usually love skillet dinners before I even make them, simply because of the connotation of the name: skillet. Not 8 bowls, 3 stirring utensils, 4 measuring cups, and a strainer. Skillet, as in, ONE dish to clean, ONE! WOo-hoO! However, the delish flavor of this meal made me like it for the entire 5 minutes it took me to devour my serving(s)!

Skillet BBQ Chicken Pasta

1 Tbs. EVOO
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 red onion, pureed
2 cups water
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. salt
12 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
2/3 cup honey BBQ sauce
1/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese

In a large 12-inch nonstick skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat (you could also use a large pot if you don't have a skillet this big). When hot, add the chicken and onions and saute, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken and onions to a plate and set aside.

In the same skillet, add the water, chicken broth, penne and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the liquid is almost absorbed, the pasta is tender and the mixture is slightly thickened. Stir in the barbecue sauce and sour cream. Once mixed, add in chicken, onions and shredded cheese. Stir to combine and cook until everything is heated through.

Serves 4.
Recipe adapted from My Kitchen Cafe

1 comment:

Tiff said...

Made this last night. Yummy! I love the one pot idea! My boyfriend and I really enjoyed the subtleness of the sauce. I will definitely make this again. Thank you for sharing!