Friday, October 7, 2011

Death by Chocolate bars



The title says it all. I never, I MEAN NEVER, think a dessert is rich. Well, folks, their is a first time for everything I guess! I took a big, honking bite of these babies straight from the oven, and whew! They were rich! I could only eat about a 1x1 inch square. However, once the cooled, I did not feel that they were quite as rich and I consumed much, much more than that. Thankfully! Ha!. My momma has been telling me about these little dream bars for months, and I just got around to whipping them up. They were devoured, I was loved, and all was well.

Death by Chocolate Bars
Printable Version

2 german chocolate cake mixes (powder only)
1 cup melted butter
⅔ cup evaporated milk
12 ounces prepared caramel sauce
12 ounces chocolate chips

Mix first 3 ingredients in a large  bowl, it will resemble cookie dough consistency. Remove ½ of the dough and spread in the bottom of a 9x13 inch cookie sheet. (This is a small cookie sheet, almost half the size of a large one). Cook at 350 degrees for 6 minutes.

Pour prepared caramel sauce on top of warm bottom layer of chocolate cake. Then scatter 12 ounces of chocolate chips in a layer on top of caramel sauce. Drop, in marble size balls, the remaining cake batter mixture to create a top layer. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes at 350 degrees.
Allow to cool, cut into bars, and enjoy!

Makes about 20 bars, depending on size cut.
Recipe from Mom

3 comments:

Ashley Wray said...

These look divine! And easy with the cake mix :) Unfortunately Paxton does NOT like chocolate in his milk, so I can't eat any for awhile. But when I can, these will be at the top of my list of things to make, thanks Chels!

Christine's Pantry said...

Looks wonderful. Mouthwatering.

Heather said...

Great combo!! I just found you and subscribed to you. So nice to see a blogger who is just enjoying food without all the fancy pictures and for the love of food!! http://bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com