Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Asparagus Soup...just try it!

Seriously? GREEN soup? Yep, that is exactly what we thought, until we tasted it! (As you can see, I took this picture after serving myself about 1/3 cup of soup!) I hate, yes HATE potato soup. Something about having the wonderful, creamy flavor surrounding those huge chunks of flavorless potatoes just irks me. But this soup was a different take on potato soup. Everything is blended (which makes it more appealing to hubbs) and the asparagus flavor plays off of the potato in a delicious way. Even my O-SO-PICKY husband went back for seconds! I know you all think that we are crazy, but if you are looking for a healthy, totally filling and YUMMY soup, just give it a shot! (NOT TO MENTION THE 40 CALORIES PER 1 CUP SERVING!)

Adapted From: P90X cookbook

1 1/4 cup onions, diced
1/2 tsp. garlic, chopped
1 1/2 quarts chicken broth
1 1/2 pounds asparagus, chopped
2 medium potatoes (cook until irish, or 3 minutes in microwave)
1/2 tsp. yellow mustard seed(I omitted)
1 dash 17-spice mix (I omitted)
1/2 tsp. dry mustard

Saute onions and garlic in 1/4 cup of the chicken broth. Add asparagus, potato, and remaining stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. (instead of simmering, I simply cooked my potatoes to irish and boiled my chopped asparagus prior to adding them to the stock.) Remove soup from heat and puree with a food processor or blender. Return to the pan and season with spices. Serve.

Serves 8.

No comments: