Thursday, July 23, 2009

Baked Chicken Taquitos


Mexican anyone?! I am not a huge mexican fan...or a huge COOOKING mexican food fan. I think it is because I am not sure if I can do it. All of the dishes seem so complex that I scare myself away from trying them. However, I decided to give this recipe a shot and it worked out great! It was simple, which is exactly what I needed to give me confidence to start making more mexican dishes. Baking them in the oven make them seem somewhat healthy, or more healthy than frying anyway, which is key for my family. The inside is perfectly creamy from the cream cheese along with the melted delishisness from the monterey jack. I loved the crispy tortillas, which was a shock to me because I normally only like soft shell. Give them a shot and let me know if you think this is as simple as I did!

Baked Chicken Taquitos
Printable Version

4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup green salsa
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 green onion, sliced finely

2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 1/4 cup grated monterey jack cheese
14 small yellow or white corn tortillas
kosher salt
cooking spray

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.

In a medium-sized bowl, mix softened cream cheese, green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and 1 cup cheese and combine well.
Working with a few tortillas at a time, place 3-4 between two damp paper towels and microwave for 30-45 seconds, until tortillas are soft and pliable and don't crack while rolling. Place 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on the lower third of a soft tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges. Then roll it up as tight as you can. (A few of mine wanted to rebel and come unrolled so I stuck a toothpick through them to keep them right and tight.)

Place filled taquitos seam side down on the baking sheet, making sure they don't touch each other. When ready to bake, spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and lightly sprinkle some kosher (coarse) salt on top.

Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown. Remove from oven, top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Serve immediately with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole on the side. These extras really made the taquitos for us!

Make 14 Taquitos

From: My Kitchen Caf
e

4 comments:

Ally said...

YUM! I need to make me some of this... can you tell I'm hungry?

Creative Classroom Core said...

YUM! I am bookmarking this one!

Alisa said...

I love your recipes Chelsea! And this chicken taquitos are perfect for this weekend. I followed you from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks! - Alisa@Foodista

chelsea mckell said...

Just caught myself up on the last ten posts or so. You never cease to amaze me. And make me laugh. And make my mouth water.