Friday, April 2, 2010

Mongolian Chicken

Whew! This dish has some heat to it. My hubbs loved it, but I already adapted the recipe a little bit so it will fit my palate better. I am not one for food with a kick, and this sure has a kick! The original recipe called for 2 tsp. of red pepper flakes...that is a lot! I put just 3/4 tsp. and it was still too hot for me, so in my recipe I have change it to 1/2 tsp. I was amazed, however, at the flavor of this dish. I think the hoisin sauce really gives it a delicious, unique flavor. I will be whipping this one up again, because I know my hubbs will be requesting it!

Mongolian Chicken

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon minced
1/2 white onion, minced
2 green onions (optional)
4 Tbs. EVOO

Sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 Tbs. cornstarch
2 Tbs. hoisin sauce (asian section of grocery store)
1 Tbs. oyster sauce (asian section of grocery store)
1 Tbs. dry sherry
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

In a medium bowl whisk together chicken broth, corn starch hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, sherry, sugar, soy sauce and crushed red pepper flakes. Set aside.
Toss chicken with cornstarch in a bag until all of the pieces are thoroughly coated. Heat 2 Tbs. EVOO in skillet and add chicken pieces; cook until golden brown and fully cooked. Remove from skillet and set to the side.
Add 2 Tbs. of EVOO to skillet. Add garlic, onion and green onions. Season vegetables with salt and pepper, if desired. Stir fry until vegetables have reached your desired tenderness. Pour the sauce mixture into the wok and cook until the sauce becomes thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly (about 1 minute).

Serve chicken and sauce over rice or Quinoa.

Serves 4.
Recipe adapted from Blog Chef

No comments: