Sunday, November 18, 2012

Parmesan Smashed Potatoes


If parmesan was the only thing in my refrigerator, I would have a happy, content husband. Seriously it makes an appearance on our dinner table almost as much as salt and pepper. Good thing alot of my meals are cheese friendly! When I saw this recipe in Food Network Magazine, I knew I had to make it. Don’t worry, I waited a whole 3 hours! Yep, I made it the first night after I saw the recipe. I was praised. I mean, really, parmesan and potatoes? You can’t go wrong! Put this on your menu for the holidays!

Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
Printable Version

3 pounds red potatoes, unpeeled
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/4 pound unsalted butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place the potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt in a 4-quart saucepan with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 25 to 35 minutes, until the potatoes are completely tender. Drain.
In a small saucepan, heat the half-and-half and butter.
Put the potatoes into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix them for a few seconds on low speed to break them up. Slowly add the hot cream and butter to the potatoes, mixing on the lowest speed (the last quarter of the cream and butter should be folded in by hand). Fold in the sour cream, Parmesan cheese and the remaining salt and pepper; taste for seasoning and serve immediately. If the potatoes are too thick, add more hot cream and butter.

Recipe From Ina Garten
Serves 6.

No comments: