Monday, April 13, 2009

Grandma's Rolls

Cody is going to KILL me for posting these...but he is not home so I am hoping that he doesn't see the new post! After my Grandma taught me how to make her TO-DIE-FOR rolls, I went straight to the computer to share the recipe with you all. When Cody saw what I was doing, he thought that I was crazy! "Why would you share your delicious roll recipe with EVERYONE?!?! They can be your signature!" Well, WHY WOULDN'T I? These are so yummy, and even though it has taken me a year to post them, I am doing it now, so that should count for something...hopefully you can forgive me! (Which I have no fear of because after you taste these rolls you will LOVE me! And my Grandma! Thanks Grandma!) P.S. This recipe makes about 70 rolls...I usually cut it in half.

From: Grandma Beverly

2 cubes of margarine

3 cups water

½ cup sugar

2 tsp. salt

2 beaten eggs

 

9 cups flour

2 Tbs of yeast

1 heaping Tbs. gluten

2 sticks butter, melted

 

Combine margarine, sugar, salt and 1 cup water and microwave until butter is ALMOST melted.

Add remaining 2 cups medium temperature water and stir well.

Crack and mix eggs with a fork in another bowl. Once mixed, add to the water mixture.

Add yeast and gluten, mix slightly.

Sift about 4 ½ cups of flour into the mixture and stir with a wooden spoon. Continue to add flour as needed. When dough becomes to sticky to stir, begin to knead while adding sifted flour up to 9 cups or until correct consistency.

Knead bread very well, about 5 minutes.

Cover bottom of mixing bowl with about 3 Tbs. shortening. Place dough in bowl and turn to have shortening cover dough. Spread about 2 Tbs. more shortening on top of bread. Cover and let double in volume. ( If it is hot outside place in the sun for the first half of the time, then move to the shade. If it is cool, turn oven on 350 and count to 15 seconds. Shut the oven off in and put the dough in the warm oven to rise.)

When dough has doubled in volume, punch down.

Flour counter lightly and split dough into two balls by pinching in the middle. Cover half of dough and roll out the other half on the floured counter. You know that your dough is right if it squeaks when rolling out. Use a doughnut cutter and cut out circle that are about ½ inch thick. Follow below recipes for certain rolls:

For dinner rolls(shown above):

Dip top of circle in melted butter and wipe excess on 2 other circles of dough. Use a butter knife to press into the center until just before it cuts through. Stretch dough and fold where you cut with the knife, then pinch sides together. Place dough in half-circles in a deep, buttered pan very closely together. Allow to rise until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 15 minutes or until you can tap on the top of the cooked rolls and they sound hollow. Flip out of pan and use a pastry brush to apply a thin layer of melted butter on each roll. Allow to cool. 

For butter rolls(shown above):

Take 10 circles and roll each individually like a hot dog, very lightly until about doubled in length. Melt 1/3 stick butter in bottom of bread pan. Roll each elongated circle in butter then place in pan. Place them next to eachother until pan is full from side to side(about 10 rolls). Allow to rise until they reach the top. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 15 minutes or until you can tap on the top of the cooked rolls and they sound hollow.Flip out of pan and use a pastry brush to apply a thin layer of melted butter on each roll. Allow to cool.

For Clover rolls(shown above):

Do not roll out or cut with a doughnut cutter. Simply pinch off small circles and place 3 circles in each buttered cupcake tin. Allow to rise until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 15 minutes or until you can tap on the top of the cooked rolls and they sound hollow. Flip out of pan and use a pastry brush to apply a thin layer of melted butter on each roll. Allow to cool.

To freeze, wrap rolls in tin foil (about 8-10 per piece of foil) and place in freezer. Remove about 2 hours prior to serving to thaw and bake for 5-8 minutes at 350 prior to meal. This works GREAT!

Yield: about 70 rolls


7 comments:

Kathy said...

That's so funny!!! My husband is the same way! My husband makes an amazing Tortilla Soup and amazing Steak Sauce that he won't share with anyone!!! Why keep it to ourselves - it's not like we're gonna go into business and sell Steak Sauce!!! I finally told him that I had to write it down, incase he died or something!!! ;) lol... There's no way I could secretly post it though - he always follows every post!!! Crazy guys!!! I love rolls and I can't wait to try these!!!

Sandy's Kitchen said...

These look so delicious! My husband is the same way as well. He doesn't want me to post certain recipes but I don't mind at all. I love sharing new and old recipes!

Ashley Wray said...

Grandma's rolls are so yummy! I have her recipe but have not yet dared to try them! But I think I might have to give them a whirl! Thanks Chels!

ensadler said...

I think making bread is an art. Even though you may have the recipe it doesn't mean you can make them! I think someone has to show you how to do it. Luckily you will be here to show me! :)

Carrie said...

What beautiful rolls!

Erin said...

Wow, those rolls look so good, my mouth is watering! YUM!
- Erin (The Sisters Cafe)

JimmyJack said...

How much is 2 cubes of margarine?