Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Homemade Applesauce


What would I do without my mother? What DO I do without her in my kitchen? Basically...she is amazing and I call her every time I am cooking anything. Each time I go home I am reminded of the delish meals that I was fed growing up. This is one of my favorite treats that she makes, but I never wanted to "venture" to match hers. Well, good news....THIS IS SUPER-DUPER EASY! Now, most meals of my mother's I just cannot match no matter how hard I try, I think it is that extra "love" she puts in them. However, this recipe is for anyone and everyone! Give it a try, it will be a go-to snack for your family (that you feel kind of healthy for eating....just try to forget about all the sugar in it!) P.S. please don't judge it by the picture...old camera=not so appetizing pic!

From: Mom

8 cups apples (about 4 large apples) I used cameo, use your fave!
1 3/4 cups 100% orange juice
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Peel and core the apples. Cut into small chunks, no more than 3/8 inch thick. Stir apples, orange juice, water, salt, sugar and cinnamon together in a saucepan. Simmer for five minutes, so that the apples are tender, but still have a little "bite" texture to them. Remove from heat and serve warm. This would be great with ice cream....however, I just eat it plain! This applesauce refrigerates and freezes wonderfully. 

1 comment:

Cher said...

mmm...that sounds so good right now. I love applesauce. food doesn't get much better. Just wanted to let you know that I tagged you on my blog...come check out your award!! --anyone who provides me with as good as recipes as you do is easily considered my friend!