Thursday, September 3, 2009

Chicken Tikka Masala

I have really been into Indian food lately, haven't I? Well, I guess I will just have to blame it on all of the other food bloggers out there...this recipe has been circulating its way across food blogs for a while, and I kept avoiding it. Avoiding it for two reasons. (1)There were two different spices, Turmeric and Garam Masala, that I had never heard or wanted to search for in a store. (2)The recipe wanted me to broil my chicken to cook it. This may sound crazy, but I was nervous! I thought it would get dry, just burn the outside, just not work period! (O how wrong I was...I can't wait to broil my chicken in the winter instead of baking it...much quicker and sooooo moist!) However, after having the recipe pop out at me on way too many blogs, I had to suck it up and make it. I AM SO GLAD THAT I DID! It was an A+ delicious meal, totally flavorful, and totally easy. Try it, don't be stupid like me and wait to see it on 18 other blogs. Enough said.

Chicken Tikka Masala

3-4 chicken breasts
1/3 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1 Tbs. cumin
1 Tbs. coriander
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 cup heavy cream
14 oz. can diced tomatoes (pureed if preferred)
3 Tbs. butter (divided)
1/2 onion
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 heaping tsp. ginger spice
1 1/2 Tbs. Garam Masala
1/2 Tbs. sugar

1 c Basmati rice
1/2 Tbs. Turmeric

1/2 cup frozen peas(optional)

Cook 1 cup rice with 2 Tb butter, 1/2 Tb ground turmeric and 2 c water. (The turmeric adds a subtle flavor - it's more about the vibrant yellow color it creates.)

Mix 1 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 Tbs. cumin, and 1 Tbs. coriander. Season the chicken breasts with the mixture, using a fork to press seasoning into breasts. Coat both sides of chicken with yogurt. Set the chicken on a metal cooling rack over a foil-lined cookie sheet and place it about 10-12 inches below a broiler for 5-7 minutes on each side. It should have a few black spots, which remove easily when dicing. Remove from oven and dice.

While chicken in broiling, dice or puree the onion and saute with 1 Tb butter over med-high heat until slightly browned. In a separate bowl mix garlic ginger, 1/2 Tbs. salt, Garam Masala, sugar, diced tomatoes.
Add to onion in saute pan and allow sauce to simmer for 5 minutes.

After sauce has simmered, add in 3/4 cup heavy cream and stir to combine. Add chicken to sauce.

Serve the rice with the Chicken Masala over the top and an option is to cook the frozen peas, drain, and top dish. They really added a nice crunch as well as more color to this bright meal!

Serves 4.

Recipe Adapted from: The Sisters Cafe

No comments: