Saturday, September 19, 2009

Chippers


Chippers, chippers, O how long I have tried to master you for. Today was the day! I believe that I got as close to making the Paradise Chipper cookies today as I ever have...and I will stick with this recipe! It was to die for. At my first bite I screamed to my hubby..."They taste like chippers! They TASTE LIKE CHIPPERS!" Now, this is both positive and negative. Positive because, well, they are delicious. Negative because I haven't stopped eating them all evening. You won't be disappointed. Not to mention that they are 100% whole wheat flour, so some of the guilt is taken away!!

Chippers

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups oat flour(whole oats ground to a flour consistency, 1 1/2 cups whole oats=1 cup oat flour)
Scant 1/2 cup coarse oats (whole oats coarsely ground)
1/3 cup ground coconut
1/3 cup coarsely ground rice crispies
3/4 bag milk chocolate chips

Cream butter, shortening and sugars. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and oats. Mix until combined. Add in coconut, rice crispies and chocolate chips and stir to combine.

Using hands, roll into smaller than ping-pong ball size balls. Bake at 400 degrees for 7-8 minutes.

Makes about 60 cookies.

6 comments:

Marjie said...

Chelsea~these look like the perfect cookie~I imagine the dough is divine to just eat with a spoon?? Yum.

Michelle said...

Mmmm! Now why both butter and shortening instead of just butter?

Chelsea and Cody said...

Michelle-I find myself doing 1/2 butter and half shortening quite often. I would use shortening, and just shortening, all of the time if I had more money! I feel that shortening always produces the same results, when sometimes the type/temperature of butter can alter the outcome. Shortening is pricey, so I only use half to make up the difference and still have m cookies be affordable.

tips.gardening.com said...

Thank you for these distinguished subjects. we wish you a nice and sparkling visit. doubletree chocolate chip cookies

JN said...

I was missing the paradise cookies and found this recipe. Tastes so good! Thank you for the recipe.

Jay said...

I love a soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies, and Paradise Bakery Chippers are supreme. I have been searching for a good recipe so am very happy that I came across yours and am looking forward to making it. I do have one question for you. As I was doing my search, I did come across another food blog where someone commented that they had actually spoken with a Paradise Bakery employee as their location was shutting down. She had listed the items she thought were in the cookies, and the employee confirmed but said there are two secret ingredients and they are coconut and corn flakes. I see you have coconut and rice crispies, so was wondering if in your testing you ever tried doing corn flakes? thanks.