Sunday, February 7, 2010

Banana Bread


I will admit it, I am afraid of quick breads. I feel like every recipe I have ever made ends up being over-cooked on the outside and still doughy on the inside. That makes for a lot of wasted time, money, and not-to-yummy of an outcome. I have found that if I use the mini-sized bread pans they cook more evenly, and I can eat a whole loaf without sharing! I decided to try this recipe in a large bread pan, and guess what?! It worked! I was amazed beyond belief! Perfectly moist all the way through, no doughy middle, no dry edges. Thank you Better Homes and Gardens cookbook!

Banana Bread

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (5 medium)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil or 1/4 cup oil 1/4 cup applesauce

Grease bottom and sides of loaf pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
In a small bowl, combine eggs, bananas, sugar and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened, the batter will be lumpy. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
Bake for 50-60 minutes for a large loaf, 25-35 for a small loaf, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Using a knife, loosen edges and turn pan over to loosen bread. Slice and serve!

Recipe Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New cook book
Makes 2 large bread loaves or 4 small

No comments: