Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hawaiian Haystacks

One of my favorite meals growing up was this...Creamy sauce with crunchy noodles and a touch of sweet from the pineapple and other toppings. There was nothing better. I was eating leftovers at work the other day and was shocked to find out that NO ONE had every tried them! I guess because they were a staple in my home I was in shock. I can't wait for my co-workers to give this recipe a shot and see how delish this meal is!

Hawaiian Haystacks

4 Tbs. Butter
2/3 cup flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup chicken stock
1 tsp. salt
1 can cream of chicken or mushroom soup
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken5 cups cooked rice

Toppings:
La Choy noodles (in the Asian foods section)
shredded cheese
green onions
tomatoes
pineapple
peanuts

Melt butter in a large saucepan, add flour, milk, chicken stock, salt, soup and chicken. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until thickened.
Serve sauce over cooked rice and top with desired toppings. Cheese and La Choy noodles are a must have, the others just make it better from there! Enjoy!

Serves 4.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com

3 comments:

AmandaS said...

Oh yum! I forget about these because I know Kevin would up-chuck if I served them! I am going to have to find some ladies luncheon to take them to or something!

Emilee said...

These are my favorite, you have inspired me to fix them soon!

Kay said...

Love these! Favorite childhood food. Some other great toppings:
-Bacon - cripsy cooked and chopped
-Shredded coconut
-grated raw carrot
-chopped up hard boiled egg