Sunday, February 3, 2008

Calzones

Yes, these are as good as they look! This recipe is from Cody's sister and brother-in-law, he used to work at a pizza place...and they made this recipe up! It is so good! Cody probably asks for these calzones once a week! This recipe makes 4 decent size calzones, and it works great to cut in in half for two! I strongly recommend "Cody's Favorite Filling" at the bottom of this recipe, but it is great with anything pizza related!

Calzones
Printable Version

1 1/2 cup warm water
2 Tbs oil
4 and 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp salt
3 Tbs sugar
a little less than 1 tbs. rapid rise yeast

Combine sugar, yeast, and warm water in mixer. Allow to sit for 3 minutes. Add oil, flour, and salt. Knead until combined. Separate dough in to balls and roll out about 1/2-1/4 inch thick. Put filling on half of the rolled-out dough.
Then press with a fork around the edges to help seal the calzone. Cut three slices in the top to vent. Brush with egg white prior to baking. Bake at 350 degrees until a deep golden brown. (About 30 minutes).

Cody's favorite filling:
Alfredo sauce
chicken, boiled, cut into bite-size pieces
canadian bacon, minced and sautéed
turkey bacon, minced and sautéed
cheddar cheese
mozzarella cheese

Chef's tips:
This dough does not need to rise! That is the beauty of calzones vs. pizza. However, the third time that I made these I timed my fillings wrong, and the dough had to sit for about 1o minutes before I rolled it out. I didn't cover it or anything, I just left it in my Kitchen Aid. I feel like it made our dough just a little bit more calzone-like!

Recipe From the Sadler's


No comments: