Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cinnamon Stack Bisquits



Delicious, impressive, easy. What else is there to say! These little treats look like they are SO difficult to make, and they taste so yummy! I make them for breakfast, for dessert, or for a snack. O yum. My mother-in-law and I were addicted to them a couple of summers ago...like serioulsy addicted. We always had to have some stashed in the freezer (nuke them in the microwave for 15 seconds and they are perfect!) When I told her I was making them, I thought she was going to hop a plane to Nebraska! Maybe I should tell her I am making them more often...:)

Cinnamon Stack Biscuits
Printable Version

Dough
2 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbs. sugar
1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
⅔ cup milk

Filling
3/4 stick butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 Heaping Tbs. cinnamon

Icing
2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbs. water

Combine all of the dry ingredients, then cut in shortening with a pastry cutter until mixed well and slightly crumbly.
Then, slowly stir in milk.

When dough begins to clump, knead with hands for about 30 seconds, or until dough forms a ball. Flour your surface WELL to prevent sticking, and roll out your dough in a rectangle. Cut off edges to make perfectly straight sides of your rectangle.
Next spread filling evenly to each edge of the rectangle. Cut rectangle from left to right (long-ways) into 5 strips and stack directly on top of one another.
Cut into 12 equal pieces and flip each individual piece into a cupcake tin. Bake for 12-14 minutes at 400.
While they are baking,  make icing by mixing powdered sugar and water together. Add additional water, if desired, for a thinner consistency. Drizzle each biscuit with icing while still warm to enable it to melt. Serve and enjoy!

Recipe from Melissa

3 comments:

Emilee said...

I made these this morning and they were so good! Taylor was worried that I was making a mess on the island, I need to make more messes there! I'm just wondering how big you roll it out to?

Chelsea and Cody said...

Emilee-So glad that you liked them! We are obsessed with these little guys! I roll it out to about a 8x12 rectangle. Sometimes I end up with an extra strip or two so I just stack those strips and make a few extra biscuits. It is kind of hard to roll it out perfect, that is for sure. Hope that helps!

Gloria said...

Dear Chelsea: I saw your pancakes recipe on Pinterest, so I came over here. My goodness, you have so many delicious, gorgeous recipes here on this one page alone! Thanks so much for sharing!
Best,
Gloria
P.S. I think it is WONDERFUL that you like your MIL so much! :)