Sunday, July 13, 2008

Baked Sweet Potato Fries


Sweet potato fries...is there anything better?! Honestly! Cody and I first ate these at Rumbi Island Grill in Utah. I am sure that there are multiple ways to cook them, this one adds a little flavor. I am also going to try just olive oil and salt and pepper next time to catch more of just the sweet potato flavor. It was a fun way to mix up our meal, and the flavor is just wonderful!

From: Mom

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and washed
1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut sweet potato in half lengthwise(1), then in slices from top to bottom(2), then turn onto sides and cut into fry-like strips(3).

Combine olive oil, cumin, chili powder, salt and onion powder in a large bowl. Toss cut strips in sauce.

Next, spread strips on cookie sheet in a thin layer. We ended up having to do 2 cookie sheets instead of one. 

Place sheets in oven and turn strips every 5 minutes. Remove from oven when at desired texture. We like ours a little crispier, this takes 20-30 minutes.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love Rumbi's sweet potato fries too. The funny thing is I don't like sweet potatoes any other way. I'm going to have to try this!

chelsea mckell said...

Ive had SP fries at other restaurants, and have always wanted to try them at home - now I have motivation! Youre so good at taking pics and giving instructions - love it! I agree - you should try it minus the spices to taste more of the SP....or what about adding a lil cinnamon-sugar??
:)